Tip on Heavy Rainfall
Heavy rainfall can cause damage to your property, here are a few tips to get you through the season with hopefully minimal damage.
Home and Business Tips
- Look into purchasing flood insurance. Call your insurance agent make sure flood insurance is right for you.
- Install rain gutters and other drainage systems. Clean out rain gutters frequently, proper water flow will direct water away from your property.
- Fix any leaks ASAP, a small leak can quickly turn into something greater.
- Extra roof protection. You can spend a bit more to install a rubber roof underlay, a waterproof barrier that goes under the shingles and protects the roof from water intrusion. This will also help with insulation in the wintertime.
Rainy Driving Tips
- Don’t use cruise control. This feature works great in dry conditions, but when used in wet conditions, the chance of losing control of the vehicle can increase, as you will have less control over the vehicle.
- Slow down and leave room in front of you. Slowing down during wet weather driving can be critical to reducing a car’s chance of hydroplaning, when the tires rise up on a film of water.
- Posted speed limits are the recommended speed during ideal conditions. Do not feel pressured to drive at the posted limit during a rainstorm, but do not drive too slowly either. As other drivers may have to make dangerous maneuvers to avoid you.