What to do if your Commercial Building has a Fire
Are you prepared?
When your business suffers from a fire damage, there are several things that you need to get your business back in working order.
1. Did I File an Insurance Claim?
Make sure to know your insurance agent, so that you can quickly get in contact with them. Before you try to claim damage that occurred from flooding or other types of weather-related events, it is important to ask yourself if you filed an insurance claim and whether you received any compensation. If you have business insurance, check with your agent concerning your options before you file.
2. How Much Can I Claim?
The total amount you can claim will likely depend on past insurance claims and the type of damage your property endured. Schedule a meeting with your insurance agent before an emergency occurs, so that you are up to date on what and how much you can claim for your business.
3. How Long Do I Have To File?
You want to make sure you can file before secondary damages occur. A lot can deter your agent from being able to accept insurance claims, so having your ducks in a row, and efficiently, can be helpful.
Clogged vents, ducts, and filters are the primary causes of dryer fires. Usually, this is a result of a buildup of lint, but can certainly be caused by an accumulation of dirt, grass, or anything else that remains after the washing process.
In addition to the lint filter, the outside vent can also become clogged, which prevents airflow and potentially leads to hazardous conditions. Again, this could be a result of lint making its way through the duct and collecting on the screen. However, it can also become obstructed by pesky birds, insect nests, or rodent nests.
How to prevent dryer fires:
1. Make sure it's properly installed
2. Clean lint screen after each use
3. Clean the vent and duct
4. Replace ducts
5. Have your dryer routinely inspected
6. Make sure you are using your dryer correctly
Choosing a restoration company to come into your home can be a difficult decision to make. You may not be familiarized with what work needs to be completed and how much man power it will require to complete. SERVPRO of Racine County gives you peace of mind by finishing any project we are assigned from beginning to end. Rather than having to hire multiple companies to repair multiple types of damages, we do the work for you. Having more than 30 years of experience we are one of the most highly respected and sought after companies for restoration, a reputation we hold dear to us. With a full staff of over 30 employees, we are able to be on call and ready to assist our customer base any time of day or night on any day of the year. Disasters can come in many forms. From fire, water, mold and trauma we have the capabilities you help in every scenario. With top of the line equipment and a crew of highly trained individuals which have been meticulously selected through a vigorous application process, we only offer the very best in commercial and residential repair. Our staff will explain which steps we are taking to assess the damages and what is needed for repairs. You will never feel left out of the construction process, as we keep in constant contact for any questions you may have. When disaster strikes, you can count on us to be there for you.
When all the Power Goes Out
Power outages can cause an extensive list of issues that can carry a heavy price tag. When strong winds or heavy rains damage an nearby transformer, it could mean lights out and power off. Its important to take into consideration how many items in your home will no longer function without a power source.
1) No air conditioning: Without a power source, your air conditioning will no longer function, in the summer months this raises the risk of heat related illness.
2) No heating either: Furnace blowers and electric heating units will no longer work during a power outage. In the winter months this could carry the possibility of your pipes freezing. Have your faucet set to a slow drip to avoid the danger.
3) Water: If your home runs on a well, you can find yourself without access to a water source. Keeping a supply of fresh water bottles available is one way to provide your family with water until electricity s restored.
Fridge/Freezer Woes: Perishable food in your refrigerator or freezer should remain cool enough for the following 24 hours after power loss. After that point it is important to inspect any food items and discard all that has spoiled.
Having emergency ready kits located in your home is a huge benefit in times like these. Be sure to add medical and medicinal items to have on hand as well.
When Storms or Floods hit, SERVPRO of Racine County is ready!
SERVPRO of Racine County specializes in storm and flood damage restoration. Our crews are highly trained and we use specialized equipment to restore your property to its pre-storm condition.
Since we are locally owned and operated, we are able to respond quicker with the right resources, which is extremely important. A fast response lessens the damage, limits further damage, and reduces the restoration cost.
Resources to Handle Floods and Storms
We can scale our resources to handle a large storm or flooding disaster. We can access equipment and personnel from a network of 2,000 Franchises across North America and elite Disaster Recovery Teams that are strategically located throughout the Country.
Have Storm or Flood Damage? Call Us Today 262-633-8888.
A Timeto be Prepared
Commercial losses on a large scale can come quickly and carry a heavy price tag. Something as simple as a leaky roof or a drippy pipe can cause thousands in reconstructive damages and repairs. As some disasters are natural there is little that can be done to prevent injury to your building or to have an exact plan in place for preventative measures. On the other hand, there are many steps that can be implemented ahead of time that can greatly reduce the amount of time needed to recover.
- Most importantly is to have an emergency plan on hand and constructed ahead of time to refer to in case disaster strikes. This should include the contact information for your nearest SERVPRO facility, as we can help assess and repair commercial damages on large and small scales on any type of disaster you may be facing.
- Know where all vital power sources and water sources are located in your facility. This includes your main water shut off valve and circuit breakers as cutting these off can be major contributors to salvaging your property.
- Have all vital insurance and business information prepared in an emergency folder for easy and swift access to prevent the delay of repairs and to expedite the time it takes to start the repairs.
These are just a few steps that can be taken to lessen the difficulties you may experience after Commercial building loss. SERVPRO of Racine County is just a call away and are here for you should you need us. 262-633-8888
Tip on Heavy Rainfall
Heavy rainfall can cause damage to your property, here are a few tips to get you through the season with hopefully minimal damage.
Home and Business Tips
- Look into purchasing flood insurance. Call your insurance agent make sure flood insurance is right for you.
- Install rain gutters and other drainage systems. Clean out rain gutters frequently, proper water flow will direct water away from your property.
- Fix any leaks ASAP, a small leak can quickly turn into something greater.
- Extra roof protection. You can spend a bit more to install a rubber roof underlay, a waterproof barrier that goes under the shingles and protects the roof from water intrusion. This will also help with insulation in the wintertime.
Rainy Driving Tips
- Don’t use cruise control. This feature works great in dry conditions, but when used in wet conditions, the chance of losing control of the vehicle can increase, as you will have less control over the vehicle.
- Slow down and leave room in front of you. Slowing down during wet weather driving can be critical to reducing a car’s chance of hydroplaning, when the tires rise up on a film of water.
- Posted speed limits are the recommended speed during ideal conditions. Do not feel pressured to drive at the posted limit during a rainstorm, but do not drive too slowly either. As other drivers may have to make dangerous maneuvers to avoid you.
Wisconsin is most known as “America’s Dairyland” and is particularly famous for its beer and cheese. One of the scarier things that can occur in Wisconsin are wildfires. As far back as the late1700s, large fires – Not particularly hot or destructive, but spacious ones- moved across Wisconsin every few years. Some of the more notable ones were German Road, Cottonville, Crystal Lake and the most largest known one in Wisconsin the Peshtigo Fire.
Sometimes these fires make their way into suburban areas. Houses are burned to the ground, businesses are scorched and production comes to a halt, and (worst of all) lives are put on hold or sometimes lost altogether.
Fire damage is easily the worst type of loss a person can endure. Water may leave marks, mold requires cutting walls, but fire can destroy property entirely. When this happens, more than just belongings are lost. Memories, time, and a sense of safety also go up in flames.
If your home or business is affected by a fire, give SERVPRO of Racine County a call. With our experience and attention to detail, we can help ease the pain that comes from a fire. We carefully inventory your belongings to assist insurance companies, we haul away wreckage, and we deodorize and reconstruct homes and businesses.
While it may be a long time before things get back to normal, rest assured: If SERVPRO is on the job, you are in good hands.
We can service your needs
At SERVPRO of Racine County, we make it our mission to always treat your home and belongings with the utmost respect and care. Whether you have water, fire or mold damage, know that you can count on us to quickly clean and restore your precious home in a timely manner. We can help with anything from a large scale disaster to minor cleaning and repair. Known as a 'one stop shop' we are able to complete our projects internally, saving you the hassle of contacting multiple companies to finish the work needed. We won't stop working until you feel at ease. It's what we do! You are our highest priority and we will always be there when you call.
Call today (262) 633-8888
Leaky roofs are one of the most common causes of water damage
Even a brand new roof after just one storm can open your home up to water intrusion. If a few shingles were ripped off by wind or cracked by hail, these bald spots on your roof could become secret entrances for moisture.